January 20, 2017, 6:01 PM


Food Worker Card

Get your Food Worker card online!

You asked for it and we listened. Take the Food Worker Card class and test online. Save time and money! Click on the link above or visit www.foodworkercard.wa.gov

Follow us on Facebook

The online Food Worker card program has been such a huge success that we have seen a drastic reduction in the number of people who attend our classes onsite. Beginning Monday, May 2, 2011, we will reduce the number of classes we offer at the Health Department. We will offer the class on Mondays and Fridays at 9 am, and Thursday evenings at 6 pm. We encourage you to take the class online but we still have kiosks available Monday through Friday from 8:30 am-2:30 pm to take the class at the Health Department, if the class times don't work for you.

Class Information

The Food Worker Card class consists of reading a booklet, watching a video, a short lecture or question/answer period and a multiple choice written exam.

Food Worker Cards are required for all food establishment workers in Washington State.

The test is offered in:

  • English
  • Spanish
  • Korean
  • Chinese
  • Vietnamese
  • Russian
  • Large Print
  • Picture Test Option

How Long Does it Last?
Approximately 1 1/2 hours

When is the Class?
Monday and Friday at 9 am and 2 pm
Tuesday and Thursday at 6 pm

No classes offered on Wednesdays, holidays or department furlough days.

Call the number below to verify class dates.

Please note: Class size is limited and entrance is on a first come-first served basis. The Tuesday and Thursday evening classes fill up quickly. We recommend arriving at 5:30pm or earlier.

How Much Does it Cost?
Food Worker Cards cost $10 cash (personal checks cannot be accepted).

Do I Need to Pre-Register?
No pre-registration is required. Class size is limited to first come, first served basis. Only persons needing a FWC will be allowed in the classroom. Do not bring children, as there is no place for them to be left unattended.

What do I Need to Bring to the Class?
Photo ID (any photo ID is accepted) and your unexpired Food Worker Card (if applicable).
All other materials will be provided.

Where is the Class?
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department, 3629 South D Street in Tacoma. (corner of 37th and Pacific)
Classes are held in the auditorium.
Parking is accessible off D Street.
Use double doors by flagpole.

When Will I Get my Card?
Cards are issued at the end of the class after successful completion of the test.

When Will My Card Expire?
If this is your first time receiving a health card or if your last card is expired, your card will expire 2 years from the issue date. You may receive a 3 year card if your current card is not expired and only if it is to expire within 60 days.

Is There Another Option for me Instead of the Class?

Log on to www.foodworkercard.wa.gov and take it online, pass, pay and print your card; or

We have six computer kiosks in our lobby to take the Food Worker Card interactive tutorial and test.

It is offered in English, Spanish and Korean.

The cost is $10 cash only, and lasts approximately an hour.

The kiosks are available Monday through Friday between 8:30 am and 2:30 pm, by appointment only.

Please call (253) 798-6460 to schedule today.

These are the only options available in Pierce County.

What Else Do I Need To Know?

Cards issued by us are valid in all of Washington State.
Parking is limited. Please arrive half an hour before the class to line up. There is no place for drivers/children to wait inside the building during evening classes.

Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department is a tobacco-free campus.

Please call (253) 798-6475 for current class information.

Prepare For The Test
Learn food safety concepts ahead of time by clicking on the video and/or class manual below. By watching the video and reading the manual you will be better prepared to pass the test.

Food Worker Card Class Video-English

Food Worker Card Class Video-Spanish

Food Worker Card Class Video-Korean
(download time approximately 5 minutes)

The Do it Right, Serve it Safe Food Safety training Program DVD is available for purchase. Please call (253)798-6460 to place your order.

Food and Beverage Worker's Manual

Other Resources:
MAST - Mandatory Alcohol Server Training (Washington State Liquor Control Board Server Training)

Last Updated: Apr 4, 2011 11:24 AM